Transfer Information

Transferring to Minnesota North

  1. Apply Online
    Complete the online application for admission to Minnesota North College.
  2. Submit Official Transcripts
    College level credits and courses completed at other colleges, universities or institutions are evaluated for transfer to Minnesota North College based on official transcripts received from institutions you previously attended. Minnesota North determines which credits will transfer after careful review of course information.

Minnesota North follows the Minnesota State policy 3.21 on undergraduate course credit transfer.

Transfer of credit will be considered for college level coursework completed at accredited institutions regionally or nationally accredited institutions. Transfer credit from nationally accredited schools recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S. Department of Education will be reviewed for transfer credit acceptance on a case by case basis.

Other types of credit can also be evaluated and accepted in transfer.

  • Advanced Placement (AP) Entering students who have participated in Advanced Placement courses in high school may receive college credit. Students must have their official AP score report sent to Minnesota North directly from the College Board.
  • International Baccalaureate (IB) Entering students who have participated in the International Baccalaureate’s Diploma Program may receive college credit. Students must have their official IB score report sent to Minnesota North directly from International Baccalaureate.
  • Joint Services Transcripts (Military) Minnesota North recognizes courses, and awards educational credits, for military training or service that meets the American Council on Education’s standards for awarding credit. To have military credit evaluated, a Joint Services Transcript must be provided.
  • Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support sponsors a wide range of exam programs to assist military personnel in meeting educational goals. DANTES and DSST exam scores that meet American Council on Education’s minimum recommendations are considered for transfer.
  • College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Administered by the College Board, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives students the opportunity to demonstrate their mastery of college-level material in introductory subjects. Students must have their official CLEP score report sent directly to Minnesota North. College credit will be awarded as recommended by the American Council on Education.
  • Credit by Examination/Test Out/Credit for Prior Learning/Independent Study Other credit award alternatives are also available. See the College Catalog, your advisor, or the registrar for more information.

Course Transfer Evaluation

Courses will be considered for transfer after they have been evaluated by the college’s transfer specialist.

  • Coursework completed at Minnesota State institutions that fulfills the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) will be accepted at Minnesota North based on the completion of the MnTC at the originating college or university.
  • Coursework completed at accredited institutions outside the Minnesota State system will be evaluated against equivalent coursework at Minnesota North.

Aspects affecting transfer evaluation may include the time lapse of the course work, the equivalency of the coursework, and the technical and general education content of the courses. Students are encouraged to contact the Registrar’s office should they have any questions regarding the evaluation of transfer credits.

International Credit Transfer Evaluation

Transfer of credit for courses taken at institutions outside the United States will be based on evaluation by an international evaluating agency such as WES or ECE. If you wish to have these credits evaluated, it is the student’s responsibility to obtain a course-by-course evaluation from one of these agencies and provide it to Minnesota North.

Computation of Transfer Credits

Transfer credits accepted by Minnesota North will be counted as credits attempted and completed (“Total Credits Earned”) for the calculation of a student’s cumulative completion percentage. All college level courses in which a student has received a grade of A, B, C, D or P/S will be considered for transfer. Grades of A through D transfer for the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC). Completion of the 40 credit MnTC requires a cumulative 2.0 GPA. While D grades transfer, some specialized/ occupational/technical programs require courses to have a grade of C or higher to fulfill requirements. No F grade courses will be accepted. Transfer course grades will not be used in computing a student’s GPA at Minnesota North College. Only earned transfer credits (not grade point credits or grade points) will be recorded on the official Minnesota North College transcript.

Transfer Appeal

Students with questions about how their courses transferred should contact the registrar for clarification. If a students does not agree with the outcome of the course transfer evaluation, a student petition form may be submitted to the Academic Dean. Students should supply supplemental information needed for review, including a course outline, a syllabus, and the course description. The Dean will confer with the discipline faculty and/or program coordinator. Once a decision is reached, the student will receive the outcome of the petition. If the student is not satisfied with Minnesota North’s appeal decision, the student may submit a Minnesota State system level appeal form, as explained in Minnesota State Board Policy, Procedure 3.21.1.

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities

To learn about your rights and responsibilities as a student related to transfer of credit, please see the Minnesota State Board Policy 3.39.


Minnesota Transfer provides transfer resources for students, including transfer planning guidelines, articulation agreements, and links to transfer schools.

Transferology is an online resource provided for students to see how courses taken will transfer to other schools.

Transferring to Another Institution?

Are you planning to continue your education after earning your degree at Minnesota North? Many things are in place to facilitate transfer from Minnesota North. Students planning to continue their studies through transfer to a two or four-year college or university are strongly encouraged to plan with their counselors or advisors when selecting classes.

Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

The Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) consists of 40 general education credits earned across ten broad categories. The 40 credits earned as part of the MnTC are accepted in transfer at all colleges and universities within the Minnesota State system, and the courses completed as part of this are often transferable to other colleges and universities.

Liberal Arts & Sciences Associate of Arts Degree

The MnTC is the foundation to Minnesota North’s Liberal Arts & Sciences Associate of Arts degree, which as a two-year degree is more transferable than the MnTC alone. View the Liberal Arts & Sciences Associate of Arts degree program planner to see the requirements of the the MnTC.

Articulation Agreements

Many of our other two-year degrees are also easily transferable into related programs. If you do plan to transfer to another college or university after Minnesota North, be sure to discuss the transfer with your advisor to ensure you enroll in the appropriate courses for your transfer school and intended major. Many of our programs have established Articulation or Transfer Agreements with four-year universities. (Visit the Minnesota Transfer site to see these Articulation Agreements.)

Minnesota North Transcript Request

Colleges and universities to which you are transferring will need to have your official Minnesota North transcript.
Request Minnesota North Transcript